Cyclone Fani, India’s strongest summertime cyclone in the last 43 years, is likely to hit the Odisha coast by Friday afternoon. After landfall, it is likely to move to Khurda, Cuttack, Jajpur, Bhadrak and Balasore districts of Odisha and then enter to West Bengal.
Dos and Don’ts
- Total destruction of thatched houses/ extensive damage to kutcha houses.
- Some damage to pucca houses. Potential threat from flying objects.
- Bending/ uprooting of power and communication poles.
- Major damage to Kutcha and Pucca roads. Flooding of escape routes.
- Minor disruption of railways, overhead power lines and signalling systems.
- Widespread damage to standing crops, plantations, orchards, falling of green coconuts and tearing of palm fronds. Blowing down of bushy trees like mango.
- Small boats, country crafts may get detached from moorings.
- Visibility severely affected.