Odisha Govt confirms 3 heatstroke deaths

FEATURED

Bhubaneswar, May 22: The Odisha Government on Friday confirmed three heatstroke deaths as the State continues to reel under the blistering hot conditions.

“The State has recorded 16 alleged heat wave-related deaths so far this season. However, after post-mortem it has been confirmed that three persons have died due to heatstroke,” said Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Rajesh Prabhakar Patil.

Patil said that one heatstroke death each has been confirmed in the districts of Bolangir, Sundergarh and Sonepur.

Meanwhile, weather agency has issued fresh warnings for severe heat wave conditions in several districts even as scattered thunderstorms are expected to provide some relief in coastal and southern regions.

According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD) prediction issued on May 22, light to very light rainfall occurred at one or two places over coastal and south interior Odisha, while dry weather prevailed in north interior districts.

The IMD also issued the severe heatwave alert for Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Bolangir and Nayagarh for today:

“Severe Heat Wave conditions are very likely at isolated places over Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Bolangir, and Nayagarh. Thunderstorms accompanied by lightning and gusty surface winds (speed reaching 40-50 kmph) are very likely in the afternoon/evening hours over Balasore, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendrapara, Jagatsinghpur, and Cuttack,” said the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *