Naveen announces 15-day relief for flood hit Odisha districts  


Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday reviewed the flood situation in Gajapati, Rayagada and Ganjam districts and announced relief for 15 days.

Even though very severe cyclonic storm ‘Titli’ did not cause much damage to Odisha, the resultant rains led to severe flood in Ganjam, Gajapati and Rayagada, and Ganjam being the worst affected district.

“All affected families of Ganjam, Gajapati and Gunupur sub-division of Rayagada districts will get relief for fifteen days Odisha. On an average a family of four members will be assisted with more than Rs 3m000 as relief,” said Patnaik after chairing a review meeting with Chief Secretary Aditya Prasad Padhi, Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Bishnupada Sethi and almost all the department Secretaries today evening.

Earlier in the day the Chief Minister did an aerial survey of the flood affected areas in the three districts

“Road connectivity will be restored in all cut off areas within next 48 hours. Electricity supply to 90 per cent of affected areas will be ensured in next 48 hours and the remaining 10 per cent in 3 to 5 days,” said Patnaik.

Patnaik said that safe drinking water will be provided in all block areas within 48 hours.

“All tube wells will be repaired by Sunday.  In the next 24 hours water supply will be restored in all urban areas. Generator sets will be used wherever required. And safe drinking water will be provided in all blocks in the affected districts within 48 hours,” asserted Patnaik.

The Chief Minister said that house damage and crop damage assessment will start once the immediate relief and restoration measures are completed.

He said that after a proper assessment of damages due to Cyclone Titli and flood, the State Government would place its demand before the Centre for assistance from the NDRF (National Disaster Relief Fund).

More than 45.84 lakh people in 11 districts – Gajapati, Ganjam, Rayagada, Puri, Kandhamal, Kendrapada, Keonjhar, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Khurda and Jagatsinghpur – have been affected due to flood. Two Navy choppers have been placed into service for relief and rescue operation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *