BJP national spokesperson Dr Sambit Patra will be contesting Lok Sabha elections from Puri parliamentary constituency. The election will be held on April 23, 2019.
Here is all you need to know about the BJP candidate for Puri Lok Sbaha seat
- Sambit Patra is a qualified physician and holds Master of Surgery (MS) in General Surgery from SCB Medical College, Cuttack in 2002.
- He did his MBBS from VSS Medical College and Hospital, Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha in 1997.
- He qualified UPSC Combined Medical Services in 2003 and joined Hindu Rao Hospital in Malka Ganj in Delhi as a Medical Officer.
- Much before he burst into our homes with his dramatic pronouncements and preposterous playacting as BJP’s national spokesperson, he was first made saffron party’s Delhi unit spokesman in 2011 while still living in the doctor’s quarters of Hindu Rao Hospital.
- In 2012, he was the BJP’s candidate for the Kashmere Gate ward in the Municipal Council elections, but lost the poll badly.
- In the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections in 2014, he campaigned for BJP and gained visibility on national television and later caught Union Minister Arun Jaitley’s eye. When BJP rose to power, he became its national spokesperson.
- The 45-year-old leader is one of the independent directors on the board of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) since October 28, 2017.
- He’s the founder of Swaraj- an NGO working for the emancipation of Dalits- which comprises of doctors and policemen from all over India.
- He played key role in getting the words “chamar”, “harijan” etc. removed from caste certificates issued by Delhi Government.